Thursday, May 9, 2013

My Grandpa Joe

On Oaklee's birthday she asked to go see grandpa Joe again... we had just been to see him less than a week prior - but she wanted to see him again.  I checked her and Tyson out of school to see him again (the other Littles came too)  He has gone down hill quickly.  He knows he is ready to die soon.  He was laying there, barely moving, most things he said were hardly audible, but when I told him I love him, he said "love you too"  I love him so much.  He has been my grandpa for 20 years, the same amount of time my Grandpa Williams was my grandpa.  Grandpa Joe is fantastic.  I will be sad when he dies.

A few days prior to this visit, we knew he didn't have much longer to live so we loaded up to go see him.  He had outgrown his dentures so they were in a cup at the sink.  The Littles found them and thought it was so funny.  Morrissa and Tyson were unable to go that time.

My Grandpa Joe died on May 2nd.  I will miss that man.  Honestly, one of my most favorite people ever.

At the viewing I was worried over how my kids would take seeing him in the casket.  They all handled it very well.  In fact Jersi kept asking to go touch him. She'd put her hand on his and say "Yuv you dranpa Joe" Poor Tate had a much more difficult time.  He sat on the couch much of the time and sobbed.  He is such a tender hearted kid.

Dayton's middle name is Talmage named after my Grandpa Joe (whose middle name is Talmage).  At the funeral Joe's son Kelly even mentioned Dayton by name saying "there's even a grandson named Talmage!"

At the graveside he got a 21 gun solute - except it wasn't 21, it was some other number - but still, it was awesome.  (I even got to keep one of the shotgun shells)

I'll miss my Grandpa Joe.  One of the most fantastical men I've ever known.

No comments: