Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Discovery Ranch

Sometime the beginning of December I spur-of the moment in some weird moment of mine, applied for a job.  ... I was actually searching for a job for Kamron, and came across a position as a Office assistant something-or-other at Discovery Ranch, just 3 minutes up the road from me. I applied, then freaked out that I had applied and then never thought another thing of it.
Christmas day my phone suddenly notified me that I had a voicemail - when I listened to it, it was from the previous Wednesday offering me an interview that day or Thursday.  What?! I had totally missed my opportunity and I was bummed (I didn't think I'd be bummed).  Kamron suggested I call them the following day to see if I still had a chance at an interview.  I called them Tuesday and Wednesday with no answer and finally left a message.  Nothing.  Never heard back.
... until the 3rd of January... Jessica (the girl doing the interviews) explained they had been out of the office for the entire Christmas break and were just now back, and yes they still want an interview with me, can I come in that afternoon? 
I went and interviewed and was told they'd let me know by Monday if I was going to get a 2nd interview. The very next day I got a call that they were so impressed with me, they want to just hire me without a 2nd interview.  WHAT?!?  She wanted to know if I could start the next day or Monday - I opted for Monday. (The Administrator for my dept said, "Anyone who has 7 kids can definitely do well in this job" - I knew I had a plethora of children for a reason!)

I LOVE my job!!  Discovery Ranch is a residential facility for troubled youth ages 13-18.  There's a house for boys, and a house for girls, there's the ranch where the kids do a lot of farm-type work (milking cows, etc.) There are things like rope courses and horse riding for different forms of experiential therapy.  Then there's the school, that's where I work.
 I work in the "concept room" which is basically the foundation for the whole school.  Everything that goes on in the school originates in my office.  I am responsible for school related things like grades, course work, testing, class placement, etc.  I am also responsible for detention points, APOH (All Privileges On Hold), Reward points and comments, problem solving, reporting incidents to the uppers, communicating all their test scores and such to those who need it, keeping the therapists up to date on how each child is doing in school, etc, etc, etc.  I have quickly learned that although I am just "Office Assistant", me and Jessica (the other office assistant) pretty much do everything and then report it to the school administrator.  It's crazy.

I love it.  I love being in the residential facility environment, I love self-managing myself on the job, Jessica is a hoot, and I am busy from the second I walk in until the very second I leave.  LOVE it!!  (I even get free hot dinner from the cafeteria every night!!)

I'm sure you'll hear much more about it all later!

No comments: