Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Tater-tot


Tate is in the First grade. He seems to really love school, and not just the social aspect (although I do believe that plays a HUGE part in it) he loves the learning part too! He is on an ‘M’ reading level and is always reading. He comes home almost everyday with something new to tell me. He has a fifth grade reading buddy for reading time because he’s ahead of his class in reading. He’s also ahead in math and spelling and finishes his assignments quickly which results in udder boredom and finds ways to entertain himself. He apparently sharpens his pencil about 12 times a day and quite often goes around the classroom and tells the kids the answers on their own assignments so they can get done faster (“helping them get done faster” was his reasoning for the situation) He’s excellent at math – I can say something like “well I went to the store 5 times last week and then 3 times this week and I’ll probably go 4 more times” and without even blinking he’ll pipe up and say “that means you’ll go to the store 12 times” Another quick tidbit about school… ask him about Regina and his face will go red!
The other day Tate piped up and told us he either wants to be a player for the Utah Jazz or a business man with a briefcase. Wow, those are similar.
Around Christmas I asked him his favorite color (for gift giving purposes)… his answer: black and pink. Yes folks, he likes pink. He told me, “I always liked pink but I didn’t want to get in trouble for it so I never told you” What a goof ball.
When he was younger and it came to food, he “hated green stuff” this included green ice cream, green veggies, green anything. He wouldn’t eat it. He’s slowly outgrowing this – he has decided he really likes broccoli and green ice cream.
A few of the pther things I can remember from when he was little (around age two): When he was cold he’d say “Freezy” when he dropped something or broke something or fell down he would say “Oh shoot” and when he was mad he wouldn’t throw an actual fit, he’d just say the word “fit” and that was your cue that he was very upset. There was a time when I was busy doing something and he kept getting into the fridge (to steal a cheese stick or a pickle) – I would hear the fridge open and say “Tate, get out of the fridge” The fridge would remain closed for about 3 minutes before he’d attempt the thievery again… finally after about 5 times of this I said, “Tate, if I hear that fridge open one more time you will go to your room” Next thing I knew Tate said “Fridge, shhhh” and the proceeded to open it. Another time (when he was just under 3 years old) we came home from the grocery store and I had brought in all the groceries. Tate looked around and said, “mom you’re missing a milk” “I am?” “Yes, you bought 3 red milks and two blue milks but you only brought in 2 reds so one is missing.” He was right, I had left it in the car. Wow. He was a stinkin’ smart kiddo.
Back to now. He is obsessed with all things Pokemon and loves to watch tv and read books. He one day brought a 400 page book home from the school library and had it read in 3 days. Whoa. He is a reader. His favorite books right now are the Magic Treehouse series (he calls these the “Jack and Annie” books) and the Captain Underpants series. I seriously do not see the excitement in reading about a super hero that saves toilet paper and the like all while in his underwear, but Tate is a boy and I suppose that is enough said on that one.
Tate is a very sensitive kid. If he knows I am having a bad day he’ll come give me a hug and make sure I am okay. The other day I was all caught up in a Mario Kart competition with Kamron and I announced “Man I suck at this” and He calmly patted my arm and said “Mom, you don’t suck. All I want you to do is try your best.” What a good kid.
Oh, and he wants you all to know that he has now lost 2 teeth. His bottom front two. (he claims I pulled both out – but the first one I just wiggled it forward to see how far it would go and out it popped, this last time he opened his mouth and I barely touched it with my fingernail and it fell from its spot. He had just eaten dinner, how did this not happen sooner??)

3 comments:

Erin Macceo said...

What a freaking cutie, I think the first time I met him he was like 4, wow time flys by.

Natalie said...

Thanks Stef! I just caught up with your family. I love your blog. It sounds like you have quite the family. I'm glad you love it. I love the shadow baby! Cute cute!

Jonathan and Jen said...

You pulled out MY teeth too! Jerk.