Sunday, January 4, 2009

Completely Lost


So last night at work (Walmart) I was working the customer service desk and an older lady (probably in her 70s) (for story purposes we’ll call her ‘Marilyn’) came up to the counter and leaned in close and said, “I am so embarrassed” I looked at her with concerned eyes (yes, I sometimes have concerned eyeballs) and she proceeded to tell me she has lost her car. She had been looking for it for well over 20 minutes and cannot find it anywhere. By looking at her I could tell she had been outside in the freezing cold for far too long. Her face and hands were bright red and she was physically shaking. I offered to go help her. I told her to stay inside on the warm bench and I’d go look.
According to Marilyn, she drove a white car, (that narrows it down a bit…) she thinks it’s a Chrysler, and it had a handicap tag hanging from the mirror. I asked if she remembers parking in a handicap spot, she told me she was going to but then a really good spot opened up just two or three spaces from the handicap ones so she took that one instead. Marilyn also recalled that she had entered the building through the west doors so her car should be on that side. Okay, should be simple enough right? Not so much.
I proceeded out the west doors and started my search. I first went down the rows that have handicap stalls and found no white cars near the handicaps; I found a few further down but none that were Chrysler. I checked nearby rows, nothing. I started thinking maybe she got confused and parked on the other side so I ventured across the lot. (Now keep in mind it’s like 10 degrees out there and I have no coat. Brr). Checked every row on that side and still came up empty. In fact I haven’t even seen any car in the lot with a handicap tag hanging from the mirror.At this point I have reached one of two conclusions: She either forgot which car she drove, or her car was stolen. Dang, I hoped it was the first option. I headed back towards the west side door contemplating what to do from here, when out of the corner of my eye I spotted a white car in the distance. A lone white car parked far away. I thought perhaps it was worth a shot and walked that way. Yes, it was in fact white, and had a handicap tag, and when I got close enough I verified it was a Chrysler. Bingo! Here it is folks. And what do you know; it was only two spots away from the handicap. How on earth did I not find this before?? Simple. This car was parked in the Dollar Store parking lot like a freakin block away from Walmart!! I quickly walked back across both parking lots and back inside where it was warm. I asked Marilyn a few questions and determined that yes indeed this was her car. What?!?! How on earth did she walk that far and not realize it? Better yet, how did she not see the blaring green sign nicely stating “Dollar Store” right in front of her car?? These are questions I will never know the answer to. I walked the sweet lady to her car and loaded her groceries in for her, assured her that this kinda thing happens all the time and sent her on her merry way. Poor lady.

2 comments:

Shani said...

That is so awesome. Old people rock!

Anonymous said...

That is so sad, but kind of funny. I don't want to get old! Will you come help me find my car cause that is so something I'm going to do!