Friday, April 3, 2009

Polka Dot Mystery

This is the tale of the polka dot mystery at our house...
So the other day I notices a crazy rash on Dayton's should blade - it looked like Prickly heat rash... I didn't worry so much. Then when Tate got home that day he too had a similar rash on his arms. Odd. The next day I notice it on Tate's back, so I check his belly. Its there too. Tate tells me it itches a little - that's when the Bendadryl pill swallowing attempts came into play... Yesterday morning it had creeped up his neck and onto his face. Dayton's was now a little bit spread but not much, and I notice Oaklee's is on her arms and legs.

When Tate was little he was the KING of crazy rashes - it seemed he always had a silly rash somewhere, plus he has eczema so the polka dots didn't give me and immediate "Dr alert" - but with it now everywhere on him, and the two babies too, I decide to take Tate to the Dr to get a prescription ointment for said rash. (Taking all three kids is just asking for chaos)

The Dr says it looks kind of like 5th's disease but some symptoms don't match up. As a mere shot in the dark he swabbed for strep. Um yep, positive for Strep!! Strep + rash = Scarlet Fever. How exciting! And 3 of 6 kids have it. You should see how much Amoxicillin I came away from the pharmacy with!! Sheesh! 4 regular bottles and one big one!!

So how am I such a mother-of-the-year that I didn't know my kids were sick?!? When Tate was little he had this too. He never complained of a soar throat or any sickness at all and suddenly a rash appeared. Total de ja vue! Seriously. And my poor babies. I'm completely surprised that Kyndi doesn't have it. She spends more time with the babies than anyone else. And how did Tate get it? Crazy! But there you have it. The Polka Dot mystery at my house has been solved for now... (And for those of you travelling this way for birthday celebrations on Sunday, do not fret, they are anti-bioticated, and no longer contagious)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ummm... Zoe may have that. She had a fever on Thursday and Friday and now she has a rash all over her body. She isn't eating and she currently has diarrhea. Does this all sound about right?

Oh, I might be quitting. I don't know how I am going to hold up with my all day sickness with this pregnancy. I need to talk to sharon.