Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jersi Eats Everything!

Once upon a time I put Jersi on her potty and left the room to take Aspen out in the yard for a quick potty break.  By the time I came back in the house (no more than 3 minutes) Jersi was screaming a horrible scream. I ran upstairs and discovered her mouth (and hands and face and leg and...) covered/full of Kamron's cayenne pepper back rub.  This back-rub stuff contains 4 ingredients; cayenne pepper, menthol crystals, oil of wintergreen, and beeswax.  To put it plain and simply, she was on fire!!  She was smacking at her tongue and rubbing her eyes!
I rushed over and took her to the bathroom sink.  I wiped all the excess out of her mouth, rinsed her eyes with water and washed her hands.  I instructed the Littles to get her some ice. I couldn't think straight.  She obviously was in a ton of pain and I didn't know how to help her.  As I washed all the cayenne stuff off her she had sunburn type marks on her face, arms and legs.  Her inner bottom lip had mini blisters. She wouldn't let me look at her tongue or anything in her mouth.  She just kept screaming.
The Littles brought her cup of ice and I sat her on her potty next to them and she started putting ice in her mouth in between screams.  I walked into the other room and called Poison Control. As I read the ingredients to the lady she explained to me that fats are what neutralizes oil from peppers.  She said, "I know this sounds weird, but I need you to go to your kitchen and get her some full fat mayonnaise, feed her two or three spoonfuls so that it coats her whole mouth and throat.  I also want you to spread it on any skin burns she has, this will draw the burning out of it."  She then told me she would call me back in one hour to check on her.
I hung up and went back to the screamer to find the Littles had filled cup after cup of ice and dumped it on the floor.  Jersi was sitting there eating ice off the floor with a spoon!
I brought the mayo up and she ate it without a problem - in fact, Dayton and Oaks tried it plain and liked it too!  Gross!  Jersi immediatly calmed down and within 20 or so minutes the blisters were gone and so were the red marks all over her body.
When the lady from Poison Control called back I was pleased to tell her that Jersi was completely back to normal!  The lady (I fell bad I don't know her name) was very helpful - she even informed me that anytime I'm chopping a lot of peppers (like for salsa) and it starts burning my fingers, I should just spread mayo on them.  Good to know! So glad Mayo fixed it. That was scary!











No comments: