Tuesday, April 20, 2010

End of the World


Kyndi recently had to go get her kindergarten shots done. We went to the dr right after her preschool one day - she didn't even know we were going for her shots...cuz we were taking Dayton in for his too... All at once it dawns on her that we might be there for her shots and she starts getting panicky.
The nurse simply placed the blood pressure cuff on Kyndi's arm and you'd think it was the end of the world!! She freaked out and started screaming. She was in full out panic - like the thing was gonna attack her! I held her hand and tried calming her down (still didn't work so well)
Next they pricked her finger to check her Iron. She wouldn't hold still - so they couldn't even get ahold of her finger. Sheesh.
Then came the shots... Oh dear. You'd think she was dying. She got four shots and with each one the shrieks were more dramatic than the last. It was quite hilarious - and totally embarassing at the same time. (Dayton didn't even flinch for his shots)
It gets better... for the next several (like 4) days she was so overly dramatic about how much pain she was in. She was sure she could no longer walk. She complained every time she thought about it. She even (on day 3) told me she doesn't think she could go to school that day because her legs might not survive it.
I finally told her, "I called the Dr - he said your legs shouldn't be hurting this bad and they might need to give you another shot to take the pain out of your legs." Wouldn't you know it, she was miraculously healed!! What a drama queen!

*Everytime since then that I've gone for check ups at the dr, when they put the blood pressure cuff on me, Oaklee immediatly runs up to hold my hand - she witnessed Kyndi's total agony with the thing and now believes it's scary for me to have the cuff on.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I was super dramatic about shots when I was little too. I remember one time 4 nurses had to hold me down to give me a shot in my butt! I'm sure my mom was so embarassed by my screaming and thrashing around. However I do much better now :)