Sunday, November 21, 2010

Whooda Thunk It?

November 21st and it finally snows for the first time this season! What? And just two days ago I was wearing flip flops to run errands. Crazy weather! I've enjoyed the calm clear warmer weather all Fall! 50s and 60s should be the temp for Winter too!
I love snow, its pretty and all that jazz - but two things make we ready for the snow to go away already. 1 - driving in it. It makes me super nervous to drive anywhere when the streets aren't plowed. I'm crossing my fingers that there are no snow storms during my traveling time two and from school the next three weeks... Reason #2 Raynaud's Phenomenon.  Kinda sounds exotic and fun, eh? Not so my friends, not so. Raynauds Phenomenon:
During an attack of Raynaud’s, the body limits blood flow to the hands and feet. This makes the fingers or toes feel cold and numb and then turn white or blue. As blood flow returns and the fingers or toes warm, they may turn red and begin to throb and feel painful. In rare cases, Raynaud’s affects the nose or ears.
An attack most often lasts only a few minutes. But in some cases it may last more than an hour.
Certain things, such as stress and taking certain medicines, can trigger an attack. But the most common trigger is exposure to cold. In the cold, it’s normal for the body to narrow the small blood vessels to the skin and to open the blood vessels to the inside parts of the body to keep the body warm. But with Raynaud’s, the body overreacts and restricts blood flow through the small vessels to the skin more than necessary.
I've had this problem for as far back as I can remember - it's so annoying!! Even going to the grocery store in the frozen foods section will do this to me - even in the dead heat of summer it sometimes happens if I eat something cold or am doing an activity where my hands are down by my side for too lengthy a time... Annoying.  - Anyways - one day my youngest brother Jameson came home from school ( I think) to tell me he had learned what my problem was... Raynaud's Phenomenon. Crazy stuff. And not so fun. Happens all too often in winter and I hate it!! Oh well. I've recently found that when my hands go numb I can run them under cold-ish water and it helps the circulation return.
Well here's to many more snow days - (hopefully all whilst I am sleeping and not needing to travel) ;)

No comments: