Friday, August 10, 2012

My Poor Oaklee

As reported in my Adventures in Trauma post, Oaklee got to re-visit the dentist, this time being completely sedated, for oral surgery and a cap placed on her back molar....

That day was today.
It started out well.  She had nothing to eat or drink for 9 hours and they administered the sleepy drink.  She hated it but got through it.  We headed into a quiet room where we hung out and watched a movie.

30 minutes in Oaks started talking about plants with big leaves and mailboxes with no mail... (kinda hilarious). Soon she was out cold. We carried her in, laid her in the dental chair, got her all tucked in with her blanket and the dentist set off to work.
Fast forward roughly 40 minutes later.....Dentist is working away...She wakes up!!!  She starts thrashing around and screaming in terror. I don't know that there was any pain...her mouth was pretty numb - but she was terrified.  She was kicking and thrashing and screaming.  I had to hold her down (legs and arms) while the dentist continued.  I wanted to cry.  It's hard enough for me to watch my kids get vaccinated - but this was 100 times worse!  I tried talking her through it but she kept thrashing - so much so that when the dentist tried to numb her further she thrashed and bent the needle that was in her gums!

My poor little Oaklee!  He ended up putting a temporary filling in the tooth he was working on - and now we get to reschedule for another day and try again.  As we were getting ready to leave she started screaming that she was gonna puke - and that she did! All over her blanket. Poor girl.
How on earth am I gonna convince her to go back?

No comments: