Monday, October 13, 2008

The case of the vibrating house...


Let me start by saying, Kamron is a plumber... okay now onto my story

Yesterday (Kamron was home for the weekend) - we were all going about our daily activities and Kamron noticed that there was a loud-ish vibrating sound coming through our bedroom wall. We live in a twin home and he thought perhaps the neighbors were running their washer on high speed or something.

Soon this sound was vibrating the bedroom floor. We could actually feel it vibrating, and next thing we know we can hear the sound downstairs too. At this point it has been going for about 10 minutes. What on earth are the neighbors doing? Kamron told Tyson to go next door to ask them what they are doing to cause such a ruckus (Tyson was to shy to obey this request)

The vibrating gets louder and louder and I suddenly remember the shower doing this vibration thing one time when I turned it off, but only for a few minutes. I tell Kamron "I think its coming from our house, not theirs" He says "how do you figure?" I explain about the shower, he looks at me like I am completely ridiculous and i say, "I'm serious I think its our pipes" He again looks at me like I'm ridiculous.

Now the kitchen floor is vibrating and our house sounds as if it might explode then suddenly my bedroom toilet flushes and the vibration suddenly stops completely. Not our pipes huh? Kamron's the plumber, better believe him. The vibration started up again a little while later, how did we fix it? flushed our toilet. Kamron finally agrees it is our pipes but states he has never heard of such a problem in his life...

Fast forward to this afternoon... I return home from a trip to the dr and to the store to find my house in total vibration mode. I walk upstairs and flush the toilet and then call Kamron. He says he doesn't think anyone at work will know what the problem is or how to fix it cuz it makes no sense. Great, what am I supposed to do all week? Call a plumber?

Thank goodness for the internet - i type "vibrating pipes" into google and lo and behold there are millions of people who have suffered this same dilemma. Apparently it is caused by the toilet's flapper not being able to seal properly so the toilet wants to continue running and therefore causes my pipes to vibrate. AHA!! Our toilet did start running last week when the good ol plumber installed a new flusher-ma-jigger.

So there we have it, my very own plumber not only thought it ridiculous our pipes could possibly be the issue - and proceeds to tell me he has no idea how to fix it and no one else will either - but he, the plumber, in fact caused it himself! Perhaps I should be the plumber at this house from now on. (Don't tell him I said that though)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so odd!!! That would drive me nuts.

Kayla Lynn Simmons said...

You should become a plummer or however you spell that word...i am too tired to think