Monday, December 1, 2008

Extraordinary Child Alert

So all my kids are exceptional children (of course, with me as their mother would they be any other way?) They are very smart, very well behaved, very cute, (I could go on and on and on...) But there is one of my children who exceeds a great deal in one area, far beyond any of my other children. We marvel at her skills daily. I am quite certain she is off the charts in most countries. Her skill, actually skills: Tripping over flat surfaces, the ability to fall flat on her face while merely standing there, and taking all stairs in a single bound while face down. Today she hit an all time best.

Kyndi was not blessed with coordination in everyday tasks. Walking, Running, jumping, climbing stairs, standing... in fact she's not even coordinated in falling. There is not a day that goes by that she does not happen upon some type of injury or fall. It's always her, nobody else. If there is potential for an accident of some sort it will hunt her down and take her captive.

There was about a 3 week period a while back that she fell down (or up) the stairs at least daily, if not more. There has been more than once that she's been jump roping and got all tangled in the rope and landed on the ground. Her fingers are always getting smashed in the weirdest things. Her head got shut in the fridge once. Doors get opened smack into her face. The dog knocks her over almost daily, one time he even knocked her clean off the back porch. When Oaklee (who is 19 months old) walks up to simply hug her, she ends up tackling her to the ground instead.

Knowing she had this accident-proneness, her bed at our last house was 6 feet up so we took extra precautions and put 18 inch rails all the way around the bed (except the narrow opening where the ladder was) She still found a way to fall out one night.

Another issue: she has never mastered the art of catching herself when she falls. Two days ago she tripped while running up the stairs, and her hands never even thought of trying to catch her fall. So she landed with a thud, her ribs against the step and knocked the wind right out of her.

Mine and Kamron's favorite incident by far was a day that we were in our room watching tv and heard screaming coming from the bathroom... I ran in there to find nothing but Kyndi's feet sticking out the top of the toilet. The rest of her was inside. (This happened about 4 or 5 other times as well.)

Onto today. I was standing in the kitchen making Dayton a bottle. Kyndi was standing in front of Oaklee's highchair, holding onto the tray in front of her, talking to me about things that 3 year olds find fascinating. Then it happened, in the blink of an eye, her legs slid out from underneath her, she landed smack on her bottom, and pulled the highchair down on top of herself. Now if that wasn't hilarious enough (and sad of course. Oh so sad) - her head went into the leg hole of the highchair and was stuck. It took me a fair amount of time to remove it. Thank goodness for camera phones, cuz I'd never have had time to find my actual camera to take this picture:

Poor girl.

2 comments:

Rachel Banks said...

Funny. I was hoping through that whole post there would be a picture. Awesome. You must be so proud!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA!!! You and your crazy kids are hilarious!!! But on a serious note, maybe you should get her eyes checked. Mom said I was always falling down when I was her age and come to find out, I couldn't see very well. I ended up in glasses soon after that and my clumsiness was solved.